Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Biting the Bullet

 So, I haven't posted my "get in shape progress" for quite a long time.
There's a reason for that.

That reason is that progress is a misnomer--if anything, I've been participating in one hell of a backslide!

Back in August, I weighed around 165 pounds.
Not horrible, but not great.
My goal was to get below 150.

Ha.

Right now, I'm around 175 pounds.
That's right--I've gained 10 pounds in the last 4 months.
I am rather disgusted with myself.

I know the whys.
At the end of August, I received 2 6-month cortisone injections.
Those always make me gain at least 5 pounds, but generally with good eating habits and exercise, I can mitigate that gain after a couple of months.
However, I'm ashamed to say my eating habits have been sporadically good at best.

On top of that, since being put on disability, I'm very limited in my work out options.
In the past, when I buckled down on losing weight, I did it with a combination of water aerobics, elliptical workouts and weight routines.
However, presently I'm only cleared for water aerobics and the recumbent stationary bike, neither of which burn many calories, even though I participate in a combination of them for an hour each three to four times a week.
And weights are absolutely out of the question, which inhibits weight loss by cutting down on muscle development.
So, I know all the reasons, and I realize that they are actually somewhat valid.
However, that doesn't solve the problem or make me feel better about how I currently look and how much I currently weigh.
With my limited work out choices, I have concluded that the only thing to do is to modify my eating habits.
However, I've proven time and again (especially now that I'm home full-time) that, on my own, I do well for a bit and then suck it up.
So this time, I'm going outside of myself for structure, planning, and accountability.
I've joined Weight Watchers.

I'm actually quite excited about it.
I've joined on their Monthly Pass plan--month to month best fits my needs and my time line.
I won't be able to go to a meeting until my card arrives, so probably later this week or early next week, but I have started using my online tools today.

I get 30 points a day, and while that sounds like plenty, its going to take some overdue adjusting to my diet to keep myself within those parameters.
Today, for example, I did fine with my 6 point breakfast.
The 2 point cookie was an acceptable splurge.
However, the 19 point Freebirds burrito was my first ooopsie--especially with Ethan and Julie's Christmas party tonight.
They say that there's 46 splurge points a week, so I'll probably end up using some of those today!

If I could lose the 10 pounds I've gained in the next two months, I'll be happy.
Heck, more would be nice--I've heard you can lose up to 2 pounds a week.
If I manage that, I could lose up to 16 pounds--which would be wonderful!  

But that's getting a bit ahead of myself.
For now, I just need to focus on trying to stay on program through the holidays!
Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
I love reading your thoughts about my posts, so please leave a comment!
I'll either respond here or come comment back on your blog, promise! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails