Friday, May 6, 2011

Hey! It's Friday!

I can't believe it's been almost a whole week since my Menu Planning Monday blog!
Ok, that's a lie.  I CAN believe it...just can't believe that I haven't blogged.
This week has been a mixed bag.

There have been some wonderful things:
I'm making a surprise Mother's Day gift for mom!

I got to spend a whole afternoon at the yarn shop!
I've made the decision to get back on the Weight Watchers bandwagon...because I've really been sucking that up for the past couple of weeks.  I'm going to weigh-in today...and it's going to SUCK...but at least it's stepping out in the right direction again.

On the downside, I've been going STIR FREAKING CRAZY and feeling very disconnected and ineffective in regards to the world around me.  I thought I had a solution already built in to the schedule for the week--a "Girlfriends" luncheon up at the church where the summer Bible studies would be introduced.  "Girlfriends" is the name of the women's ministry, and I guess I was hoping the luncheon would serve the dual purpose of getting me out of the house and help me plug in to the church community.  Well, it was a successful in the first case, but in the second...I don't think that the "Girlfriends" ministry is where I'm going to plug in.  The name should have been my first clue lol.

It reminded me very much of the girls' ministry in my high school youth group--very girlie.  And that's just not really my scene.  I met a couple of nice ladies who are in their late 30s--one of whom also has RA--and enjoyed getting to talk with them.  But overall, the atmosphere wasn't really what I was looking for.  And as for the Bible studies, they all seemed (this is going to sound harsh) superficial.  I don't mean that they were concerned with superficial things, rather that the level of study seemed a bit superficial for my liking.  That said, what I really want--a combination of historical, contextual, literary AND spiritual perspectives--is an awful lot to ask of a regular Bible study.

I was talking about this with Bryan and he pointed out that what I'm wanting isn't so much a Bible study as it is a religious studies class.  He's absolutely right--lol the boy knows me so well!  He even said that, if I really wanted to, we could look at what religious studies classes UHCL offers and I could take one on occasion.  Woohoo!!!  Not right now of course...money is a little tight and we're trying to save every spare penny for future baby.  But it's a nice thought for when baby is a bit older and I really want to get out of the house a couple of times a week...and keep mommy brain at bay!  As far as plugging into the church goes, I think that I'll find my niche in a volunteering ministry, as opposed to "Girlfriends".

Other than all that, my hubby was wonderful enough to take me out to dinner and the bookstore last night!  He's so sweet.  And tonight we're planning on going to see a movie!  So, while the majority of this week was a little rough, it's at least winding down on an up note!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, it's so hard to find good solid community to plug into these days... I'm still searching in Houston. I thought I had found one, but... it ended up being clear it wasn't for me. but that's a long story. anyway! don't be discouraged :) yay that God can work in all of us in different wants and through differnt ministries and even religious studies classes :) hope things are great for ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love reading your thoughts about my posts, so please leave a comment!
I'll either respond here or come comment back on your blog, promise! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails