Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mushroom-Herb Chicken

This is a very easy recipe, and is incredibly delicious as well!
I made it for the first time back in August as part of my planned menu for the week.
This past Wednesday I made Mushroom-Herb Chicken once again, and Bryan liked it even more this time!

I did make a few adjustments to the original recipe, and as it turned out so well, I'm going to share my version!
Ingredients:
  • 3 chicken breasts with rib meat
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 2 large yellow onions, peeled
  • 1  (10-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
  • 1/3  cup cooking sherry
  • 1  teaspoon dried marjoram (marjoram is oregano's sweeter, milder cousin :-) )
The first step is to get out your pan.  I used my biggest pan so I could fit all three chicken breasts in at once.  On medium low heat, melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in the pan.
Once the butter is completely melted, add the chicken breasts.
Once the chicken starts cooking, sprinkle the uncooked side with the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. 
(You can also do this before you put the chicken in the pan--I like waiting so that any sloppiness on my part adds salt/pepper to the melted butter instead of to the counter lol.)

Let the chicken cook on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, using your spatula frequently to keep it from sticking (unless you have a nonstick pan ;-)).  On my stove, this is the "3" setting on the burner.
Yes, I know this is a bit longer than technically required to get the bottom cooked, so you will have to be careful not to let the bottom burn.
However, letting the bottom cook for this slightly longer time period seems to lock in a ton of moisture.

While the chicken is cooking, slice up your yellow onions.
I sliced mine horizontally and then cut the sections in half and broke them apart to get long-ish curving pieces.
You won't use these until the chicken is done, but it's always good to be prepared!

After the 8-10 minutes are up, flip the chicken to the uncooked side.  Don't worry if the bottoms are a little dark--as long as they're not burned, they're fine.
Add another Tablespoon of butter to the pan and let the chicken cook for 5-6 minutes, again using the spatula to keep it from sticking.
(For some reason, this picture came out really dark--the chicken wasn't really this brown, I swear! lol)

After the appropriate time has passed, use a knife to cut into the chicken and make sure it is cooked (i.e. white) all the way through.
Once the chicken is done, transfer it to a serving dish with a lid.
Put the lid on to keep the chicken warm

Now, add the 10-ounce package of mushrooms and your sliced onions to the chicken pan, along with another Tablespoon or so of butter.
Stir them around for 10 seconds or so, and then add the 1/3 cup of cooking sherry and the 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram.
 
Stir everything together well for about another minute and then put a lid over the pan.
If you don't have a lid that's big enough for your pan (like me) you can always improvise and use a cookie sheet! :-D
 
Let the mushrooms and onion mix cook until everything has softened.
I let mine cook for 10-15 minutes.
Once the mixture is ready, pop the top off of the chicken container and pour the mushroom-onion mix over the chicken breasts.
 
And that's it!  You're done!
I served my Mushroom-Herb Chicken with Uncle Ben's wild rice and SteamFresh's lightly sauced sweet corn and a couple of Shiner Blondes ;-).
I was going to go with rice and green beans, but the hubby wanted corn lol.

It was a yummy dinner--Bryan was even happy to eat the left-over chicken breast with the mushroom-onion mix and the left-over corn for dinner the next night, when I went and got my hair done and grabbed a girls' dinner with Alicia! :-D
Sweet success!

P.S.:  No, I'm not a sponsor for the above links--I just love their products so much, I wanted to share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
I love reading your thoughts about my posts, so please leave a comment!
I'll either respond here or come comment back on your blog, promise! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails