Monday, May 3, 2010

Pimped Out Wheelchair

No, it's not mine, but isn't it shiny? O_O

Not that I'm really in the market, as it were.  At least not right now, and hopefully not anytime soon.  That said, I could have used an easier way to get around today.  One of my fifth period students even recommended a wheelchair--I told him that my hubby already promised me a "pimped out" one if I ever got to that point :-).

So what brings that up?

This past weekend I went riding with Bryan on the shiny Road King.  On Saturday, we went down to Angleton with the folks from Sons of Texas.  My ankle locked up on my while we were on the bike on, and I was limping the rest of the afternoon.  Though I have no plans to join SOT (that's Bryan's hobby...I'm happy to tag along when he invites me), it was decided that my road name (if I were to join) would be "Hop-a-long".  Lol.

By yesterday morning my ankle was doing better. Since this was the case, I was all for riding to Katz's Deli with Ethan and Julie for lunch.  We had a wonderful lunch (yum cheesecake shake!) and then Bryan and I  rode around town a bit after lunch.  By the time we got home, my ankle had started stiffening up again.

Big surprise, then, that this morning I woke up in the middle of a flare.  And not just any flare--today was easily one of the worst flares I've had in quite a while.  The right ankle was extremely painful, as were the right wrist and elbow.  I considered staying home, but as I only have one more sick day left, I toughed it out and went to work.

When I got to the high school, I realized there was no way I would be teaching a normal lesson today.  I couldn't stand for long periods of time, walking was hurting like a bitch, and even writing on the board was bad.  I did manage to get today's instructions written, once I figured out my alternative lesson.  I felt bad, but basically, the kids copied the vocabulary out of their books and defined the words, while I sat behind my desk with my foot propped up.

I HATE teaching that way, but it has happened so many times this year--due to flare ups or outright illnesses--that I have become resigned to doing so when necessary.  I feel like I'm letting the kids down, but I really don't see an alternative, at least not until they wire my projector for power.  THEN I can come up with presentations and flip through them without having to stand.  (While I do have a TV, Powerpoint translates horribly to that small of a screen.)

Now, I'm sitting on the reclining part of our sectional with my foot propped up, staying off of it in the hope that tomorrow it will be functioning somewhat normally again.  I'll take my methotrexate shot tonight, and cross my fingers that that will help as well.  It's all part of the RA journey, but damn it, I sure do wish the medications would start doing their collective job consistently!

That said, I'm glad that they are working to the extend that they are--I definitely do NOT want to go back to how I was at the end of last summer and the beginning of this school year.  I'm also thankful that I have a wonderful husband who takes such good care of me on days like today, and I'm grateful that most of my coworkers are understanding and sympathetic.  And especially on days like today, when I'm not up to being my normal teacher self, I'm thankful that I have such a good group of students this year, who, regardless of their faults, care about and respect me enough to do their work diligently (or at least not be disruptive!).  Even if they do make lots of comments about putting me in a wheelchair!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
I love reading your thoughts about my posts, so please leave a comment!
I'll either respond here or come comment back on your blog, promise! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails