Sunday, August 8, 2010

Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken

I found this recipe in the Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly cookbook by Phyllis Pellman Good.  I like the organization of this cookbook, and there are several recipes besides this one that I am looking forward to trying!

That said, I did make one or two adjustments to this recipe, just for the sake of convenience.

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut up
10 3/4 ounce can of condensed tomato soup
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup of vinegar
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of dried basil

First off, let me point out that this recipe was meant for a 3-4 quart slow cooker.  Mine is either a 6 or a 6.5 quart.  I did not adjust for that, and ended up with some of the chicken and sauce burnt around the edges and the chicken was a bit dry.  Next time, I'm going to add a cup or two of water and hope that that solves the problem!

Now, the first step is to cut up the chicken.  First, I trimmed off the fatty and otherwise undesirable parts of the chicken and put them in a ziplock bag.  I just stated doing this--it keeps all the mess separate from the to-be-cooked chicken and helps keep the trash can from becoming rank as quickly.  

I chunked my chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and tossed them in the crock pot.

Next, it's time to mix the sauce.  First, peel and chop the onion and put it in the bowl.

Add the can of tomato soup.

Next, measure out the rest of the sauce ingredients and add them to to soup and onion.

Stir it all together thoroughly.  I like using a whisk for sauces, even chunky sauces like this one--it seems to mix everything more thoroughly than a spoon.

Once the sauce is mixed, pour it over the chicken in the crock pot.

Stir thoroughly to make sure that every chicken chunk is covered by some sauce.  Here I used a wooden spoon, both because of the consistency of the mix, and because I avoid using anything metal in my ceramic crock pot--scratches are bad!

This is also where I will add a cup or two of water next time.  Now, set the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.  I let mine go for 7 hours this time--next time I will go ahead and only cook for 6 to help with keeping the chicken moist.  

I really enjoyed this recipe, aside from the chicken being dry.  It is a sweeter barbecue chicken however, so for Bryan it was only ok...he's not big on sweet barbecue lol.  We had long grain and wild rice and sweet potatoes for sides.  Overall a very good dinner, which I hope next time will be even better!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
I love reading your thoughts about my posts, so please leave a comment!
I'll either respond here or come comment back on your blog, promise! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails